How to Love your Step Children

Having step children can sometimes be a nightmare if we let them be. They are part of the package deal and you have to accept it. So you have to transform your nightmares into sweet dreams. Though it is easier said than done, it must be done. As a stepchild myself, here are some of my thoughts you might want to ponder.

1.0 BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER: It will always be that way. Your step child is NOT your own child and can never be yours. You cannot replace his biological parent, so do not even try to. Do not be offended if your step child does not like you at once. You must understand that it is not easy for a child to accept that he has a step parent, especially if the parent is still alive and close to them. If you have your own children, avoid showing bias in front of your stepchild but you also have to explain to them the situation.

2.0 REMOVE THE LINE: You must be the first one to adjust in this situation. You must know the child’s weakness before starting a communication because if you don’t, you will find it hard to start again. Get tips from your spouse, but do not let your step child notice it. Do not be impatient; this may take months and even years. However, do not let them abuse your status. Be consistent in your decisions.

3.0 PROVIDE SPACE: If you think you are really having a hard time to get close with your step child, I suggest you should provide a little space. It does not mean you are surrendering your authority, you are just showing how sincere you are and you are willing to sacrifice just to make them comfortable. Do not push the proposal. Remember that you are much older than them and you must be mature to face the challenge. This is one way of showing them that you deserve to be his/her step parent.

I do not have a perfect mother, but I have the best step mother in the world!

Article Source:Effective Parenting Tips

4 comments:

  Meghna

November 11, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Hi Angel,
I showed your blog to my parents and they are really in awe about it! They believe you could even write a book for parents.
Thanks for the comments and these advices on your post!

  Angel

November 11, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Hi Meg! pls. tell your parents that I really thank them for their appreciation, but right now I enjoy posting and learning more about blogging. However, I do not close the doors for any oppurtunity that will come...hope you could let your parents view my other blog w/c is aboout marriage...thanks!

  Anonymous

November 13, 2007 at 1:00 AM

Alhough I don't have any kids, I have a grown step daughter. In hind site, I can see the wisdom in your post about being a step parent- it isn't an easy situation for the step parent or the step child. You give good advice.

  Angel

November 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Thanks for your comment, wildcatsthree! hope you and your stepdaughter enjoy each other's company, I wish my post somehow helped the both of you to enjoy more...