How to Quit Smoking Permanently




To quit smoking is the best decision of a smoker’s life. While it is easy to quit, it is much easier to start again. This is because of the addiction to nicotine that smokers cannot resist. Some former smokers use candies, chewing gums and other rituals, but in the end it is the self-discipline and motivation that will rule. But how do we do that? I have been smoking for more than 2 decades. I am not a professional adviser about this, but I am sure the following tips are effective because I am following them.

Ask a former smoker

A former smoker is the best tip giver you can meet. He will explain you why he stop, how he did it and how he is maintaining it. Their testimonies will tell you that after all, it is not that hard to achieve. One of the major reasons why quitters smoke again is the influence from their former comrades. Therefore, if you will always go with a former smoker, you can also be influenced and you will discover how rewarding it is to stop smoking. Fear is only in the mind. If he can do it, you can also do it.

Scare yourself

The best way to scare you is to look at the data with your own eyes. How many people are dying everyday because of lung cancer and the effect of smoking to our environment? You can also start looking at yourself in the mirror and check for signs of smoking problem. You may also want to visit your doctor for a complete check up. Most likely, results will tell you that you should already stop. My father was a heavy smoker. I am glad he stopped, half a year before he died of lung cancer. Aren’t you scared yet?

Challenge your self

This is dangerous because this can be a torture to your mind. This is called reverse psychology. However, if you pass these tests I am pretty sure you will not smoke again. Buy a cigarette but do not light it. Instead, put it in a place where you can always see it. You may also go inside a smoker’s cubicle and enjoy the smell instead of smoking. If you feel dizzy and suffocated with the smoke, a big congratulations to you! This means your body now reacts negatively with the addiction. You will find it harder to smoke again.

Compute

Let us say you are smoking around 10 sticks a day / half a pack, and the cost is $0.25 (PHP 10) a day which will be $1.75 a week, or $7.5 a month, or $91.25 a year, or just tell me when should I stop. Then compute how much you could have saved since you started smoking. Afterward, compute your daily savings since you start quitting. You will be amazed to know the things you could buy if you are not smoking. Not to mention the bills you will need when you are already sick because of your bad habit.

Announce the good news

Tell it to your family and friends, as well to everybody that you can share with. If you have a blog, why not make a post about it? This is a good topic and I am sure many will be happy for you. Be proud about your achievement. You will not only inspire others, but they will also serve as reminders to keep your word. If you feel like smoking again, read your post all over again. Remember that words are very important in blogging and trust is very hard to earn. You can fool others but you can never fool yourself.

This post is to tell everybody that I quit smoking 3 days ago and I plan to stop permanently. This is my third attempt to quit but I know I can make it this time.

I would also like to commend Raden of My SEO Blog and Debra of MamaFlo's Place for admitting that they were former smokers.

Smokers do not grow old because they die young.

Related post:
Confession of a Smoking Parent

If you want to receive my future posts regularly, please feel free to subscribe in a reader or by e-mail. If you have concerns, please Contact Me anytime.

Article Source: Happy Family Matters

19 comments:

  Anonymous

May 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM

I was also a smoker before I met my husband and I say that being in the company of non-smokers is the best way to quit. That was 5 years ago, and I haven't had a stick of cigarette after.

  mon

May 22, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Congratulation and hope you would win in this battle.Hehehehe. Just keep n mind the people you knew who were affected by the bad effects of smoking and your surely triumph.Believe.I also won and that was 8 years.

  Angel

May 22, 2008 at 1:02 PM

Hi Paula and Mon,

I am glad to meet former smokers like you. You will serve as additional inspiration to keep away from my bad habit.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

  Pam Hoffman

May 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM

Congratulations!

You deserve a big round of applause.

I quit smoking 23 years ago. It was one of the hardest things I ever did.

I had to get all new friends. Everyone I hung out with before smoked.

My little girl was 2 and would walk into the burning ember sometimes and it was a dirty nasty habit.

I hated it. It took me two years to quit. I was a closet non-smoker all that time.

I quit cold-turkey after all that time too (like 9 years of smoking a pack or more a day).

I realized a few things.

I had a job where I saw a couple of people hooked up to a machine with air just so they could breath. They were that way because of decades of smoking.

I also realized that while smoking, you inhale two toxic chemicals (besides the nicotine, etc.): Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide.

You gotta ask yourself 'would i sit in a sealed garage with the car running?' because when you smoke, you are just doing it... a whole lot slower.

The CO (carbon monoxide) combines with the oxygen in your lungs and binds it, reducing the amount you get to process.

And CO2? That's Carbon Dioxide. You sure can't breath that stuff!

I'm sure if you think about it some, you will figure out a whole lot more reasons to quit and stay smoke-free!

Pick one or ten and Go For It!

Pam Hoffman
http://seminarlist.blogspot.com

  Angel

May 22, 2008 at 5:23 PM

Thanks, Pam. That was such a nice explanation about the effect of the unseen enemy.

I will read your comment every time this f*****g beast is teasing me.

By the way, I'd like to tell you that you're # 120 in my Serious Droppers list on my other blog.

Regards.

  Jackie

May 22, 2008 at 9:47 PM

Good for you. I am a failure at quiting so far.

But, I do keep trying. I am curently headed to visit my daughter in Maine and they are a completely smoke free environment.

I always do so well there. Last summer not one stick for almost a month while visiting. But, I can't move in with them.

I will just keep trying and eventually I will be triumphant!!:-)

  Anonymous

May 23, 2008 at 3:53 AM

Interesting you should post this just today. Check out this piece form today's New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/science/22smoke.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

titled: "Study Finds Big Social Factor in Quitting Smoking", about how a pack mentality among smokers attempting to quit helps everyone involved achieve their goal.

  Angel

May 23, 2008 at 9:18 AM

Hi Shinade,

This is my 3rd time to quit, and the difference now is I share it to everybody.

It really helps and hopefully, I can fight the feeling continuously.

Thanks for sharing and I wish you could do the same.


Hi Feefito,

I read the link you gave me and it's a good suggestion. Two heads are better than one.
Thanks.

  Anonymous

May 23, 2008 at 11:12 AM

I quit a few years ago. It was harder than all get out, but it's worth it. I must confess that there are numerous times that I think about going back (usually when stressed) but by the grace of God I've kept smoke free. My kids will never know the smoking me!

Good luck

  Angel

May 23, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Hi Mommie,

I am glad you shared your story here. You're right, stress is teasing me to smoke. That's why I am avoiding to be stressed.

Thanks for dropping by.

  Tidbits Of Tammy

May 23, 2008 at 12:57 PM

Isn't funny how great minds think to do things at the same time. I have been smoke free for 6 days as of tomorrow!
I quit twice before with the both of my pregnancies but started back up.
I really don't want my kids to see me as a smoker.
I am so wanting to stick with it. I guess we will see.

Congadulations to you as well!

  Angel

May 23, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Hi Tammy,

Congrats to both of us. However, if you're really serious of quitting i suggest to make a post about it and place a counter to motivate you more.

Just a thought. Thanks.

  MamaFlo

May 25, 2008 at 8:57 AM

Good for you for quitting!!!
It's one of the most difficult things I've ever done although the most difficult would be telling the people I love goodbye because I wouldn't give up the cigarettes and instead was dying.
The most difficult part of quitting for me has been the routines like after a meal, or with a drink, or sitting and talking with friends or even while I was on the computer. I still have all kinds of triggers that I have to fight even now 8+ months later.

But you can do this, you can stay quit this time and you have friends online that will help you.
BRAVO MY FRIEND - BRAVO!!!!!

  Angel

May 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Hi Mamaflo,

Thanks for the immediate response to my comment on your blog.

I am glad that I am seeing a lot former smokers still fighting strong against the things that triggers them to smoke again.

Just hope all of us succeed in your goal. Thanks.

  Anonymous

May 25, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Hi,

I don't want to sound goofy, but I quit smoking a long time ago without hardship. In was praying one time and realized I have a wrong outlet to relieved stress. And after that I lost all desire to smoke. I even hate the smell of cigarette.

My smoke buddies then can't figure me out because I just walked away without a struggle. It believe it's the G or J factor.

  Angel

May 25, 2008 at 5:24 PM

I am not sure, Sonny. But I think the length of your smoking years may also depend as well as your surroundings.

Anyway, you just add yourself as an inspiration to me. I am now starting to hate the smell of cigarette. Good news,isn't it?

Thanks and hope your mom is be continuously alright.

  Anonymous

May 27, 2008 at 12:46 PM

wow..

i do hope my husband would quit. he has been smoking for more than a decade. thanks for the tips...

  Angel

May 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM

You're welcome. Hope your husband will stop too. Maybe this list will help.

Thanks for dropping by.

  Anonymous

September 5, 2008 at 12:04 PM

LOL I'm thirteen smoker year and a half I am on twentythird day without a camel wide with the filter roped off and I smoked up to28 a day I chew four to five pieces of nicest a day. When I told my mom I was a smoker about a month ago she was shocked a year and a half and she couldn't figure it out lmfao haha anyway she understood I needed help and got me gum now when I crave she says I can have all the sits I want I get all exited and she pulls out one of her vergina slims and I say. Eeeeew more like vergin slims those are Nasty anyway I plan to stay off and I haven't been craving to smoke in like two weeks yay me and a good tip that helps me is when I crave I go out and do work in the yard or mow the lawn thanks for the time peace out .......good luck