How to overcome Middle-age Crisis

photo credit to kimprobable

Parents who have just turned forty or a bit younger may start experiencing this problem. This is usually when the kids are grown-ups having a life of their own. They are now earning their own money and some of them probably had settled down. Now, the father and the mother are almost alone again. Consequently, these parents will experience some weird feelings inside out. Since they have been together for more than two decades as husband and wife, they feel that they have done almost everything and there will be no more improvement. Life will seem to be a daily routine. Here are some of the potential problems and how to handle them.

Lost of passion for romance

Showing affection to your spouse is vital to keep a happy marriage. Romance should always be intimate and sweet. However, as a person grows older his passion tends to reduce. That is why it is very important to keep the fire burning. Being romantic does not mean you should always be sexually active. Writing love letters, watching romantic films together and sharing sweet moments make a couple younger than their age. Find time to be alone sometimes, and visit the places where you have not yet been or simply enjoy watching the sunset together.

Physical insecurities

This usually occurs to wives after they gave birth. Her body will sag and she has no more time to fix herself regularly. She will also suffer from unbalance diet. Husbands however, will start loosing his hair and his usual body physique will drop. These physical changes may lead to insecurities and will manifest on their behavior. To handle this, you must be able to find outlets or hobbies that can somehow maintain your health and thus, bringing back your self-confidence. To enjoy these activities, it is better to ask your children to join you. Another advantage would be a better family bonding.

Chance of indecent affairs

Most husbands are afraid to loose their macho image and sexual ego. Since their wives are not in their usual attractive physique anymore and care less for sex, they will try to find it on younger girls. They will join their male friends on night out gathering and start having indecent affairs. Although this may only be temporary, it can still distract the closeness within the family. Your children especially the girls, will loose respect on you and your hardships during their younger days will be taken for granted. So if you are getting tempted, think about your family and your dreams when you were just starting. Spending money for a family vacation is a better idea.

Lost appetite for work

Retirement age is getting near and you seem to be tired of doing the same work you have been doing for years. The wife may also feel the same way, and there will be no more excitement in improving your career. Since your children can already handle themselves, you may find no reason to work harder anymore. To prevent yourself in loosing interest in your job, remind yourself the days when you were enthusiastic to learn everything. Find other things that might fit in your interest like the Internet. Do not be afraid that you are now being left behind by technology. Remember that life is a daily journey. Working is like parenting; it is a non-stop learning process. You still have to be a role model to your children and community.

Life begins at forty only if your family is happy.

If you want to receive my future posts regularly, please feel free to subscribe in a reader or by e-mail. If you have concerns, please Contact Me anytime.

Article Source: Happy Family Matters

10 comments:

  Anonymous

April 24, 2008 at 2:13 AM

I have seen lots of people facing or going through mid-life crisis and they make other family members' life miserable.

I personally haven't faced it yet. I am 45, still hale and hearty, young at heart, my only true and close friend being my one and only daughter and the main aspect, I take life as it comes. I don't expect anything and if I get something out of the blue, I don't go overboard. I think these are the reasons why MLC is still away from me or may be, I will never face it. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

  Angel

April 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM

Hi Sangeeta,

You're a bit older than me and I also hope none of them has happened to me.

You're right. It's really the closeness with the family that counts. My daughter is 12 and I am focus on how she will turn into a lady.

I am working hard to prepare her future.

Thanks for following me here. By the way, I have a blog about blogging, maybe you're interested.

Just hope you join Entrecard.

  CastoCreations

April 24, 2008 at 11:26 AM

Hubby is set to turn 40 next year and is "planning" his midlife crisis. He's a goof. :) But I hope that together we can keep communication open and work to better ourselves and our relationship.

  Anonymous

April 24, 2008 at 12:37 PM

I will join Entrecard. By the way, why don't you drop by my site and comment. There are many posts in which you will be interested.

  Angel

April 24, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Hi CC,

I am glad your hubby is preparing for that. Most men are ignoring it.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

  Angel

April 24, 2008 at 5:57 PM

Hi again Sangeeta,

Actually I visited your blog and I do that to all my commenters.

Your blogs looks interesting and I'll try to post some comments.

However, I prioritize EC members and my droppers. Now that you will join, just inform me once you did and I will include you in my long list. Then I may visit you often and post some comments.

Thanks for coming back.

  grownchildren.net

April 25, 2008 at 6:04 AM

There's a sadness when the house is empty, when you come home from work and there's no loud music blaring. You really do miss it. But there are terrific rewards --and challenges--in developing a new relationship with your grown children. That's what my blog about parenting adult children is all about. Stop by at grownchildren.typepad.com.

  Angel

April 25, 2008 at 6:34 AM

Hi PenPen (or Penelope Lemov),

I visited your blog and I hope I made it right with your name. The posts were wonderful.

By the way, may I know where and how did you find my blog? I noticed your sidebars has no widget at all, so I am wondering how did you learn about my blog.

Thanks.

  Anonymous

April 27, 2008 at 2:20 AM

"life begins at forty only when you're happy" -- I like that :)

  Angel

April 27, 2008 at 8:01 AM

Hi Doc Joey,

It seems you're not having this problem, or still young to have this problem.

Thanks for the visit.