How to be your Child's First Teacher

Parents should be their child’s first teacher. When your child becomes a toddler, it is very incorrect to enroll your child in a very exclusive school at once and just depend on them to be your child’s first teacher. It is one of the most important tasks of being a responsible parent. Although most parents know about this already, only a few realizes it. You may also think that you have the parent instinct to do it, but sometimes our instinct have some limitations, too. Here are some simple ways to start:

1.0 It is better if your spouse call each other “Mama” and “Papa” rather that the usual “sweet names” such as sweetheart, etc. This way, your little angel can easily remember how to call his/her parents. In our case, when my second child was starting to talk, we call our first child “ATE” (Filipino word for elder sister) instead of her name alone, and now he is getting used to call her sister...ATE ANGELENE.

2.0 Provide informative and attractive posters in your toddler’s room, like Parts of the Body, Different Colors and Shapes, etc. in a place where they could easily be noticed. This will help them get familiar with basic things.

3.0 When reading him a nursery story book, let your child seat beside you and it will be better if you point your fingers to where you are reading. With this, he is starting to get familiar with such letters or words.

4.0 When my son was four years old, my cousin bought him a MEGA SKETCHER as a Christmas present. This is when he started to write, draw and use his imagination. Then, he began copying his sister’s book, as well as children’s encyclopedia. This magnetic board has been my son’s best friend since then. It also keeps his interest to explore more.

Article Source:Effective Parenting Tips

2 comments:

  Bola

November 2, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I quite agree with you on the name calling,I was just thinking of writing a post on that too.I call my hubby "honey" and by the time our son started speaking the first word he said was honey and till this moment he calls me mummy but his daddy his HONEY.

  Angel

November 2, 2007 at 6:52 PM

thanks for agreeing with me and visiting me here too, I'll check yours later...