Why there are People who are Afraid of Getting Married

Marriage is a lifetime commitment between two souls deeply in-love with each other. Although nobody dreams to be divorced and couples worked hard enough to keep the marriage, some of them still fail. Consequently, there are those who also afraid to get married. There are many possible reasons behind their beliefs but one thing is for sure, they do not want to be committed. While I am a happily married man, here are some of the reasons I think why others prefer to stay single.

They are afraid of their past

I know how hard it is to be a product of a broken family because I came from one. Some children grew up miserable that they have a trauma about their past. They think that they do not have the ability to maintain a marriage. Another fact that would hinder one to get married is the past failed relationship. It is hard to recover from a serious heartache, some even gone crazy about it. But the worst is when you have a very bad experience before like being raped, which keeps on haunting you until now.

They are afraid of the future

Being married is not a joke, and it takes a strong person to withstand all the hardships that are coming in between. Some people are worried about the rapid increase of expenses and think that their future children will just suffer the consequences. Some professionals, like soldiers who are one-foot on the grave are afraid that their children may loose their father sooner than expected. There are also people who love their work so much that they think that marriage is only a hindrance.

They dislike children

Not all individuals love children, and you may find them weird. They do not like the idea of bringing someone to this world, as well as having sleepless nights when a baby is crying. They prefer to be with their partner alone for the rest of their lives. But just the same, they have their reasons so we must respect them. However, they will be lucky enough if they will find someone who will understand them. As they say, having children is a gift.

They have permanent disabilities

Some people were born without the gift of having a child. This incapability somehow discourages their partner to be committed with them. In addition, disabled people are also afraid that they will be just a cross-to-carry by their children someday instead of being able to raise them the normal way. Being married requires a lot of assets, physically, mentally and emotionally. It will be a burden if someone who do not have all of these but decides to get married.

It is the imperfection of the couple that makes a marriage last.


If you want to receive my future posts regularly for FREE, please subscribe in a reader or by e-mail. If you have concerns, please Contact Me anytime.

Article Source: Happy Family Matters

7 comments:

  Anonymous

July 14, 2008 at 10:55 PM

a friend lost a foreigner boyfriend. the guy actually is scared of getting into marriage because of the past and his fear of being with the wrong person.

i guess it also depends on the exposure to situations and conditions and maybe the culture has something to do with deciding to marry or not.

  Laurie

July 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM

Hello, how have you been lately?
Sorry it has been a while since I stopped by, but have been very very busy.
I really like this post and it is so true.
The thing is that if you have skeletons or scares or whatever you should not let it mess up the rest of your life.
Especially if you find someone you really love and want to spend your life with, then go for it.

  Laurie

July 15, 2008 at 12:22 AM

P.S. I just noticed you have some great parenting ads running on your blog. I clicked on a couple, great tips.

  Angel

July 15, 2008 at 6:06 AM

Bingskee - I agree. Culture and upbringing play important roles.

Thanks for dropping by.


Laurie - I am fine. You're correct. If you really love someone, why not take the chance?

Thanks for the visit.

  momto4kidsny

July 18, 2008 at 9:43 AM

My childhood was rough and broken. I grew up with abuse. It got worse at the age of 11. I also had a few bad breakups...sure I was young but they still effected me. When I met hubby things went rather fast. We met we got pregnant had baby and then got married. I didn't even time to think! I jumped and don't regret a minute of it. However I know now that if I did have time to think...we would still be waiting for me to take the plunge. I actually like how things turned out!

  Anonymous

August 15, 2008 at 4:57 AM

My tip is: Get married, man. Its much more fun if you give your 110% of your heart and thought to "marriage". Its so much fun, you would not wanna go back :-). I love it.

  Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry"

May 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I am one who was scared about getting married. This inspired me to write a post about it.