Understanding Breast Cancer and Helping the Victims

Poster from The Breast Cancer Site

One might think that because I am a man, I should not be aware about breast cancer. It is a fact that men can also be victims of this killing disease.

According to National Breast Cancer Foundation estimation, over 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer yearly and over 40,000 die. For men, around 1,700 men will be diagnosed and 450 die every year.

With this, here are some important facts about this killing disease that we might not know yet.

A lump in the breast is NOT a breast cancer

Some women do not seek help from a doctor because they are afraid to know that they have breast cancer. According to data, eight out of ten lumps are not cancerous. Although there are ways to self-check if you are at risk of this disease, it is better that you visit your doctor regularly. Mammography is so far the best way to check for breast cancer and earlier detection means it is more curable. It is also false to say that mammography can spread the cancer.

Breast cancer is for everybody

Ninety percent of breast cancer causes are due to aging that causes genetic abnormalities while only 10% can be inherited from parents. This means that the risk is getting higher as they grow older. It can also be considered as a heterogeneous disease, which means that it is a different disease in different women and in different age groups. However, having a risk factor does not necessarily mean you will get the disease.

Breast cancer cannot cause immediate death

While breast cancer is the most common disease for women, it cannot kill you immediately. The fact is if detected early, the five-year survival rate is 96%. Although it has yet been really proven that smoking and eating fatty foods can cause breast cancer, it reduces the survival rate once you are detected of this disease. In addition, 85% of women with breast cancer have no family history of the disease and it is not a communicable decease.

With this, according to The Breast Cancer Site dot Com , we can help victims by clicking the banner below. It will not cost us anything but it can give free mammograms to breast cancer patients.

The Breast Cancer Site

I was not tagged by anybody and I am not tagging anybody either. It is enough for me that you help and spread this news to reduce the disease to spread.

If you want to receive my future posts regularly, please feel free to subscribe in a reader or by e-mail. If you have concerns, please Contact Me anytime.

Article Source: Happy Family Matters

13 comments:

  Jena Isle

June 9, 2008 at 9:06 PM

Hi Angel, that was noble of you. Miss Manilenya tagged me but I still have not posted it. Shame on me! Now I will meekly do a little research and post mine too. You always give an interesting package to your posts.
Congrats on a well written article.

  Angel

June 9, 2008 at 9:40 PM

Thanks for this encouraging comment, Jena. I also learned a lot from my research.

  infinitewebprofit

June 10, 2008 at 8:52 PM

I did not know that there are also men diagnosed with this disease.
My aunt right now is suffering and not really feeling good at this time. She was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. She didn't know what causes her, but one of the factor she's thinking was because she was not doing a breast feed in all of her 4 children.

  Angel

June 10, 2008 at 10:18 PM

I am sorry for your aunt. I am not sure about the non-breastfeeding issue but from I have read, nuns are more prone to have breast cancer.

Thanks for dropping by.

  Anonymous

June 11, 2008 at 5:55 AM

Done my part. One click from me. I have a co-manager how was diagnosed earlier.One of her breast was already removed.

  Angel

June 11, 2008 at 6:01 AM

Thanks, Mon. So how's she now? Is the other one not affected?

It's good to be aware about keeping ourselves healthy and safe.

  theworkingmom

June 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM

Hi, Angel! Thanks for the reminder about breast cancer.

OT: PPBC 3 call for articles here. I'll still be hosting this month, since Mommy Leah became busy. Would it be ok for you to host for July? That's 2 editions: the 5th and the 6th. Visit my blog again for the guidelines.

  Anonymous

June 11, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Thank you very much for posting this GA :) Mabuhay ka po! I was actually thinking of passing this tag to some male bloggers :)

  Angel

June 11, 2008 at 6:20 PM

Hi Doc Joey,

I will be glad to be the host for next month's edition.

Thanks for inviting me and dropping by here.



Hi Manilenya,

Actually, it is your blog post about this that gave me the idea to make my own post.

I will be the one who should thank you. I just hope other male bloggers will share this info too.

  BenSpark

June 11, 2008 at 9:44 PM

Great post. I am walking in the Relay for Life at the end of the month. While that is for all Cancers I am sure that much of the money is geared towards breast cancer and many of the survivors who walk are breast cancer survivors. Please stop by my blog for more info. benspark.com

  Angel

June 12, 2008 at 6:29 AM

Hi Benspark,

Thanks for appreciating my post. I am your consistent dropper and I am reading your blog posts. I find them interesting too.

  theworkingmom

June 12, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Hi, deadline for PPBC 3 is Saturday, June 14, 2008 :).

  Anonymous

June 14, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Wow!, it's great to know that :p