About Fixed and Changing Parenting Tips

I would like to reserve this post as my entry to the 3rd edition of Pinoy Parenting Blog Carnival hosted by The Working Mom whom I also call Doc Joey. The chosen topic this time is about parenting tips that I can consider ageless, which I learned from my parents and now passing on to my children, as well as the tips that I somehow changed to comply with the changing times. Although there are many of them, I choose the ones closest to my heart.

Respect for parents

Our parents are not perfect and will never be. I am a product of a broken family but it does not mean I have bad parents. In fact, I have high respect for my mother even if I did not grow up with her, and it did not even reduced even a bit through the years. I never questioned her abilities on being my mother. I always explain it to my daughter that sometimes we make wrong decision in our lives but the more important thing is we correct it. As a parent, we deserve to be respected because parenting is a very tough job.

Humility

As we grow older, we meet different kind of people and some are kind while some are not. My father used to remind me that what ever I will be when I grow up, humility should always be present. I worked hard to reach what ever I am enjoying right now but I am doing my best to always keep my feet on the ground. I am very strict to my children when it comes to treating other people. The people below us might be the same people who will help us get on the top. After all, the world is round.

Freedom

Being an obedient child, we follow our parents because they know better what is good for us. Some parents choose everything for their child even if the child does not want it. I am an engineer not by choice, but by force. Although my mother did not literally force me, she did not like my dream being a policeman then. She wanted me to be a lawyer and the result, I became what we do not want both. I can see my daughter as a good broadcaster journalist someday, but if she wants to be a model, I will support her all the way.

Communication

I still remember my father and I playing chess during my teenage years, but we never had funny moments. We always talk about serious things such as current events, politics and history. He is also fond of making jokes but not with me. In short, I do not remember him as my buddy. I am thirty years older than my daughter but I see to it that we have a very close relationship. I do not allow generation gap to be a hinder with our bonding time. I try to talk to her as an older brother instead of a plain father. In fact, we are now best of friends.

The most effective parenting tips can be found in the deepest part of our hearts.

With this, I am inviting all proud Pinoy parents to join this blog carnival. Please feel free to see the guidelines here at PPBC.

Related Posts - Pinoy Parenting Blog Carnival previous entries
How to prepare your Child on his First School Day
Pinoy Parenting Blog Carnival – My First Taste of Fatherhood

If you want to receive my future posts regularly, please feel free to subscribe in a reader or by e-mail. If you have concerns, please Contact Me anytime.

Article Source: Happy Family Matters

5 comments:

  Jena Isle

June 13, 2008 at 11:40 PM

Hello Angel, remembering childhood days can be very nostalgic. Thanks for sharing. Btw, I have linked my article with yours about breast cancer. Thanks.

  Angel

June 14, 2008 at 5:29 AM

Hi Jena,

The pleasure is mine. I think you can also join the next edition of the carnival. I will be hosting it.

Thanks for the link love for the breast cancer post.

  theworkingmom

June 19, 2008 at 5:55 AM

PPBC 3 is up! Click here to view the roundup! Thank you so much for joining. Do join us again in PPBC 4 -- call for articles is here.

  Pat

June 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM

well said. I totally agree with your points here.

  Angel

June 20, 2008 at 6:04 PM

Doc Joey - I checked all the entries and I find all of them interesting.

I am looking forward to the 4th edition. Thanks for starting it all.


Pat - Thanks for agreeing with me.